Batteries are Battering the Planet.
What's It Worth? ...
The equivalent weight of 2 Eiffel Towers thrown away. Each Year ...
In the UK we throw away a whopping 600 million batteries every year. As we only recycle 27% of these, we're sending 20,000 tonnes to Landfill (that's the weight of two Eiffel Towers).
As they decompose in landfill, the toxic chemicals leak out into the soil and local water supplies, this kills plants, animals and ecosystems.
To add insult to injury, the battery itself takes fifty times more energy to produce than it gives back.
Here's a few things you can do … click for more info …
There's a few things you can do to cut back on your battery addiction:
• If possible, get devices that can be powered at the mains - double bonus if you've switched your electricity supply to renewables
• Get devices that are Solar-Powered, or Wind-Up or use a Dynamo like bicycle lights
• Buy toys that don't require batteries ... the kids are only going to play with the box anyway!
• Rechargeable batteries aren't the answer, but they can usually be charged about 1000 times, so that's 999 less batteries needed
• Recycle your batteries - most supermarkets and other retailers will have drop off points for your old batteries
• Recycle (or upcycle) your unwanted battery operated things, like your old phones
add these on the page
Max Points 300.
• 0 Points: If all your devices still contain single-use batteries and you're not recycling them
• 150 Points: If you're using some of the above to reduce the batteries in your life
• 300 Points: If you're a completely battery-free Human Being
Award yourself Max Points if this isn't applicable to you.
e.g. Max Points for Nappies if you don't have a baby / Max Points for Drive Economically if you don't drive.
Here you'll find some helpful products, services or information that'll help you make the change.