The Short, Sharp, Shower Challenge.
What's It Worth? ...
We're using 3 x Lake Windermere's worth of water for our showers …
Showers make up 25% of our water usage in the UK. Each year we rinse our bodies with 840 billion litres (that's enough to fill Lake Windermere 3 times over!), whilst spending £2.3 billion on heating the water.
Most of us now choose a shower over of a bath, this is great as the average shower uses 20 litres less water than a bath. But the next step is reducing the time spent in the shower. If we all showered for just one minute less than we do, we'd cut our national energy bill by £215 million a year. Within a 4 person household, this is a saving of £60 a year.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it … click for mission info …
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to reduce your showering time!
You may need to time yourself now to find your starting point, then reduce it by:-
• If you're in the 45% of the nation who showers in 5 mins or under ... reduce that by 30 secs
• If you're in the 42% of the nation who showers for between 6 - 10 mins ... reduce by 2 mins
• If you're in the remaining 13% of the nation who spends more than 10 mins in the shower ... reduce by 4 mins
add these on the page
Max Points 120.
• 0 Points: If your time stays the same (or gets worse)
• 60 Points: Once you've reduced your time (in line with the above) for the first time
• 120 Points: Once you've reduced your time (in line with the above) consistently
Award yourself Max Points if this isn't applicable to you.
e.g. Max Points for Nappies if you don't have a baby / Max Points for Drive Economically if you don't drive.
Here you'll find some helpful products, services or information that'll help you make the change.