Slow Down Your Fashion .
What's It Worth? ...
We burn or dump a truck load of clothes. Every. Single. Second … Que the Jaw Drop!!
We're pretty bad at this in the UK. On average we buy an estimated 26.7kg of clothing every year (that's about the weight of a toilet), just over 10kg more than in Germany, Denmark, France, Italy, Sweden or the Netherlands.
Then, we send £140 million worth of clothing to landfill every year- in fact a rubbish trucks worth of clothes is either burned or landfilled every single second ... Que the Jaw Drop!!
The problem is the production:
• The Emissions are the equivalent of 1.2 billion tonnes of CO2, every year - More than all International Flights and Shipping combined
• The Land Use is expected to increase to 443 million hectares by 2030, an area almost 19 times the size of the UK. That's an additional 115 million Hectares that will no longer contain trees that support Carbon Capture or Conservation
Try a couple of these out for size … click for more info …
It's not that the impossible needs to happen, only 15 years ago we were buying 60% less per person and we kept those clothes for twice as long.
There are a few things you can try to get your started:
• Buy quality over quantity
• Don't buy a single outfit for a single occasion - you want to be able to wear it again and again
• Look for garments made from sustainable materials, recycled fabrics, or organic cotton
• If it's broke, can it be fixed? Either by yourself or someone else
• Go second hand ... 'hand-me-downs', second hand shops, thrift shops, auction sites, re-sale apps or swap with friends and family
add these on the page
Max Points 400.
• 0 Points: If you're buying cheap and often
• 200 Points: Once you're shopping for quality and for longevity
• 400 Points: If your reduced garment collection comprises both quality and second hand outfits
Award yourself Max Points if this isn't applicable to you.
e.g. Max Points for Nappies if you don't have a baby / Max Points for Drive Economically if you don't drive.
Here you'll find some helpful products, services or information that'll help you make the change.