Make Your Washing Machine Work for You.
What's It Worth? ...
It uses enough water to keep a Donkey hydrated for 2 years …
Washing Machines use about 50 litres of water per cycle and on average we put them to work 4.7 times a week.
• On average, we use 12,220 litres of water per year per household. That's enough water to keep a Donkey Hydrated for about 2 years.
• 140kgs of CO2 per year is consumed too, about the same weight as a Giant Adult Male Panda.
• As a nation, we spend £1.6 billion a year on the electricity used to spin our machine, but, we're not quite using them to their full capacity.
Before you hit 'Go' try a couple of these … click for more info …
Before you hit 'Go' on your washing machine, here are a few things that you can do to reduce the impact it's about to have on the planet (and your bills):
• Wash at a lower temp ... only about a quarter of us select a 30°C degree wash
• Fill it up ... currently 18% of us don't use the machine to its full capacity
• Use the eco setting if you have one
add these on the page
Max Points 80.
• 0 Points: If you're washing at high temps, half loads and keeping those Donkeys far too hydrated
• 80 Points: If you're washing at low temps when you can, are filling up before switching on, and you're selecting eco (if you have one), every time
Award yourself Max Points if this isn't applicable to you.
e.g. Max Points for Nappies if you don't have a baby / Max Points for Drive Economically if you don't drive.
Here you'll find some helpful products, services or information that'll help you make the change.